My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Till We Meet Again

Hello Everyone,

This is Marcus' sister, or should I say, Elder Shepherd's sister. Wow that is weird. Last night Marcus was set apart as a missionary. We had his favorite dinner, Taco's and his favorite dessert, Crepes. We also had a chance to play some games and spend time together. The stake presidency came over, along with the bishopric from the ward. It was a very spiritual experience to hear the testimonies of my loving parents, and of the people who care and love Marcus. A very special blessing was pronounced upon him when they were setting him apart. We could feel the love and peace just knowing that the choice he is making to serve the Lord is right. We are so proud of Marcus and love him so much.

After the setting apart, we spent the last few hours together just hanging out and playing a board game as a family.

Then came the goodbye's for me and my husband. Of course, I cried. I still get choked up just thinking about it. But it's not that I'm sad. It's the spirit testifying to me that he is going to be ok. Even though it is hard that he will probably miss 2 more babies born into the family while he is gone, Christmas, Thanksgiving and other major events, I know it's ok. He is going to have his own special experiences, and I know he is going to learn so much.

This morning our parents and Marcus got up early and finished up the last of the little things to do. Then they headed out to Provo. I talked to Marcus for a moment on the phone before they left. He said he's doing fine, and the nerves hadn't hit him yet. But he asked "Em, you promise to keep my blog updated?" I said "Yes, I am going to do my best." So this is my promise to him that I will keep this blog updated, with letters, pictures and any other news that comes home.

I called my mom just as they pulled up to the curb at the MTC. She called me back shortly after. She wasn't crying. I was surprised. Until I said "How is he? How are you?" Then she started getting choked up. Then we both lost it. I had done well all day long until I talked to my mom. I know she's strong though, so she'll be ok.

I don't think it has fully sunk in yet. For now it just feels like he is out of town on a trip or something... Until a major holiday or something happens, or until Kyle invades the basement and takes over his room. Then I'm sure it will.

Kyle is the only one at home now. That is weird. But he needs all the attention he can get :) Hehe, I love ya Ky!

Well, hopefully the hardest part is over for us. We know we get to look forward to great things!

Marcus will spend about 8 weeks in the Provo MTC learning the Spanish Language and other gospel teachings. Then he will fly to California. We aren't sure the exact date yet but we will keep you guys posted.

Here's to Marcus...

HURRAH FOR ISRAEL!

No comments:

Post a Comment