My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Monday, June 14, 2010

First Letter Home!

Hello (to every five people who will be reading this.)
I am currently sitting in the MTC laundry room, typing this email to the sound of washers, dryers, elders, foreign languages, and hopped up on peach rings. Ha ha! So, I'm not sure who will be reading this, but whomever is, I'm going to be sending out this weekly email to my dad, who can then forward it to you. (You better, dad!) So, what has the MTC been like? I think the best way to explain this is to start from the first day. When I hopped out of my parents' car on last Wednesday, I was nervous. I was ready for a new experience, but I was definitely nervous. It only took four steps before I turned around and looked at them one last time. They were talking with one of the traffic directors here, and didn't even notice I turned around. I silently said my last goodbye, then walked up to catch up to my Host Missionary. He took me to a building, where I went through and got the stuff I would need, including a special card, a first-day schedule, a room key, and *drum roll* my "Hello my name is" name tag. lol. He took me to my room, which is really a small room, about half the size of a regular classroom at Viewmont. I'm sharing the room with my companion, Elder Grandy, who, coincidentally, is going to the California San Fernando mission as well. He's a pretty cool guy, but what's cooler is that he's from Seoul, Korea. (That's where he claims he's from, but he's not asian) He was living on a US Military Base there, and went through all of Jr. High and High School there. Oddly enough, he doesn't really speak Korean. The other two elders, Elder Lyman and Elder Gregson, are also living in our room. And, also coincidentally, Elder Lyman is going to the California San Fernando mission too. We're practically the SFER triumvirate, I dubbed ourselves just five seconds ago. The first day was long. We had tons of class time, as we practically do every day. The longest we could be in the class is about 4 hours. It's long, but we're learning a lot. I feel like I've learned more Spanish here than my two years in Viewmont, and it's only the sixth day. So, the days after that were equally as long. It feels like the classroom goes on forever, and just when you think it's time to go to gym or a meal, you got more studying to do. Let's just say these have been the longest days of my life. But, every elder says that it gets better after the first Sunday, so I'll tell you guys next week what the current status is. So, I've heard that the food here is out of this world, and that I'm going to love it. So far, I'm pretty lukewarm to it. I've tried a lot of things I haven't had before, and I've mildly liked a lot of it. The only time I was really blown out was when they brought in BYU Creamery Ice Cream, with tons of different toppings. That made my day. Not to mention, they bring that in every Sunday, so a sundae on a Sunday rocks! Now, gym time has become my favorite time of the day. We get an hour to either play basketball, volleyball, four square, soccer, ladderball, or work out. Four Square has quickly become my game of choice, since I loved playing it in Viewmont. However, the other elders are ruthless in that game. They even have a saying, "There are no friends or companionships in Four Square." I believe them. I was actually playing so hard that I got a blister on my right hand. Not a lot of fun. My zone is pretty cool. A lot of them are experienced elders, that have been here for several weeks. They are pretty fun, and like to have some fun at night. I'm usually pretty serious at this time, because I like to write in my journal, but I'll enjoy the fun every so often. The greatest thing about my zone is that the zone leader's companion goes around each night, and gives out abrazos (hugs). Bro-hugs are kinda like saying, "There's no girls around here, so you'll have to do." Every one does it, but it's fun. Now, that's pretty much the extent of what has happened here my first few days. I'm looking forward to even more time in the MTC, but I can't wait until I get out into the field. (Because I'm already getting kinda sick of this place. Lol!) I know that the Lord will bless me for coming out here, and I know that my family will be blessed for sending me out here and supporting me. So, that's basically it. If you want to email me, just send it to shepherd.marcus@myldsmail.net. I was really looking forward to replying to some emails, but I had an empty inbox. :'( Also, if you want to see some pictures, my missionary blog is eldershepherd.blogspot.com. Now, this blog is private, so you'll need an account and permission, I think, to see it. Anyways, please write to me. I really do appreciate it when I get contact from the world outside of spirit-ual prison! lol!

With love, Elder Marcus Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment