My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My second week, and my first sickness

Hello everyone

Nothing too big has happened this week. But, I'll try and flesh it all out for people, because a good majority of you are interested. (Which is probably why you're still reading this. XD lol)
So, P-day on Monday was awesome. I get to do pretty much anything I want until after dinner. Then, I have to go back to class. But, when you're in the MTC without an iPod touch, a Wii, or even a book of Sudoku puzzles, your choice of options is severely limited. So, we just kinda hung out in our residence hall.
On Wednesday, we had our very first Teaching Evaluation. That is when you schedule time with an LDS volunteer who acts as an investigator and you teach him a bit. Our "investigator" was a cool guy. We didn't get to teach him much, but we were messing up left and right. There was no fluidity in our teaching, and we didn't seem to have a general direction. He pointed that stuff out when we were done, so I guess that nothing much can be done about that. We'll definitely be going back to do more TE's in the future.
On Thursday, we did our first TRC, an acronym that I can't flesh out because I forgot. We basically went to three sets of "investigators" and intro'd ourselves in Spanish for 5 minutes. Those five minutes with each one was hard. Then, for the third, we had to teach the Message of the Restoration. That was not a lot of fun. We got better as we went, but it was still hard. Of course, it's all for our learning, so I'll just keep giving it my all.
Nothing else has really happened this week. My progress with the language is getting better, but I still have a bit to go. But, I'm focusing a bit more on learning the Gospel. I read a scripture (don't remember which) that said that first learn the Word of God, then your tongue shall be loosed. I'm going to try and take that challenge. I'll still try to learn Spanish, of course, but I'll focus a bit more on the Gospel.
I'm almost out of time, So I gotta hurry. I did an ab workout with a few elders in my zone that was called the P90-X. It's an absolutely evil workout that I never want to do again. That's about it, so I'll talk to whomever is still reading this next week.

With Love.

Elder Shepherd

(Side note: Hey everyone! It's Emily. Marcus didn't really elaborate on the title of his letter here. But he wrote me a separate letter and he said that his throat has been KILLING him. I think he's got a cold or possibly strep, but sad. I feel feel bad for him! But overall, sickness aside, he's doing very well! Thank you all for your love and support!)

No comments:

Post a Comment