My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Monday, July 25, 2011

I think that I'm super special or something

Hello everybody

So, I'm sure you're wondering why I picked this particular title, and I'll tell you in a little bit, but first, I'll get to a bit of what's been happening here in Sun Valley.
So, we have this amazing family who is getting ready to be baptized this week. Their names are Lordes, Maria, Julia, and Dionicio Martinez. We've been teaching them for a while, but they're super ready. We're thinking that we'll be able to baptize Maria and Julia and maybe Dionicio this week. Lordes knows it's true, but wants to wait for her kids to start listening. We have no problem with that. All we have to do is burn through the last of the commandments and they'll be ready by this sunday, which is when we're thinking of doing it. What's really great about them is that Maria and Julia can't read, and Dionicio is confined to a wheelchair from suffering a stroke, but when we go over, and when they've come to church, they've said that they've felt something that they've never felt in the other churches they've been to, and they want that feeling with them. So, yeah, they're beyond ready, and I'm super excited, because they'll be my first baptisms on the mission. I'm super happy about that.
As far as anyone else, we've been trying to get in with a good family. The mom in there is reading the Book of Mormon regularly, and feels that it's true. The husband, as far as I know, likes what we're teaching, and the children do, too. However, we're worried because their nine year-old daughter is being visited by Jehovah's Witnesses. Not good at all. We figure it won't be much longer until spanish ones start visiting to talk to the parents, which is what we don't want. Jehovah's Witnesses are nice people, but they can sometimes really hinder the work. It stinks to have to compete, essentially, against them, but the truth shall always triumph.
Also, we have a young investigator who is reading the Book of Mormon. We were actually quite surprised when he texted us at 9:30 one night, asking what exceedingly and other words meant. When we heard that, we were like "YES! YES! YEEEEEEEESSSS!" It's always good to know that your investigators have been reading. Other than that, we've been working to get new investigators from other referrals.
Okay, so I'm sure you're all wondering why I'm super special. Here's why: In Lake L.A., I was thinking about Pokemon, and I thought I'd give a shot at trying to name the first 151 pokemon. I did that, no problem. Then, I went further and started naming 152 to 251. I stopped for a while, and put it away. But, back here, it's crawled back out of the hole, and I'm now two away from having that one done. Then, I decided to check how super crazy I was, and started doing 252 to 386. I'm now two away on that one as well. Then, just to make completely sure I had gone bonkers, I went from 387 to 493, which I'm four away from having that one finished. You people are free to tell me how super crazy I am, considering how I'm able to name about 485 of 493 Pokemon, but I think I just have a few too many problems that need addressing soon. Anyways, that's my interesting thought for the week, and take care.

Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment