My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Monday, July 18, 2011

how is the new area?

Well, hello all you children out there.

I'm sure you're all wondering what the heck happened this week in Sun Valley California. It's nothing too special, although a few interesting things did happen at some points.
On Monday, I had to be down here fairly early, which was sad because I didn't get to do a whole lot with the people in Lake L.A., though it was nice to be back in the valley.
On Wednesday, just before Elder Potter and I were about to go out, my trainer, Elder Houghton, showed up at our apartment with his family. I'd heard a lot of good things about them, and it was really interesting to meet them. He was done with his mission on Wednesday, and he decided to visit his son, me. As far as his family, they're all really cool. Also, his sister, Tiffany Houghton, has made some songs, and has released them. She's really good. If you haven't heard any of her songs, look her up. She always would love more fans, as her dad told me, and why not? Her music rocks.
As far as the area goes, it's super ghetto here. There's a lot of poor houses, apartments, and people, but I don't mind. I actually love the valley the most of any part of the mission. The desert just isn't my cup of (herbal) tea. We're working hard, and we're getting ready to have a few baptisms fairly soon. I'm getting super excited, and so is Elder Potter. As far as Elder Potter, he's super cool. We're both ready and willing to work hard, and we are ready to give it our all. I bet it won't be long before I start having pictures on my camera of baptismal whites. Those are fun.
Also, just a random thought for those who care, but last Wednesday marked the day that I've been a missionary for 400 days. That's weird. I'm not too sure how I got to this point, but it's pretty cool. Anyways, that's about it.
Actually, I just remembered something. Last night, when we were on our way home, we got stopped by a born-again christian. He asked us to pull out our bibles and look up Matt. 23:15. For those who know that chapter, that's the chapter where Jesus denounces the scribes and pharisees as hypocrites. As soon as I heard that, I knew we were in for a bashing. I won't go over the needless details, but it was super annoying. I think born-again christians are some of the hardest people to try and teach. They focus simply on being baptized. The great thing is that as soon as you're baptized, it doesn't matter what the heck you do in this life, you're saved.
Anyways, I'm running out of time, so I gotta go.

Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment