My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Another week...

Well, hello everyone

This is just another week. There really hasn't been anything of great report for our area. We have been working with the English elders a lot, and their area is currently flourishing. However, we haven't had much. Since we helped them a lot, our area has been dying down a bit. We're working super hard to change that, though, and we're going to continue to work hard.
As for investigators, one of our investigator families had to drop us because their son, who owns the house they're living in, doesn't want us to go over there anymore. It's sad, because they were SO golden, but the seed has been planted, and maybe someday it can grow and be harvested. Other than that, there hasn't been anything really great to mention. However, I actually just remembered a funny story that happened to me yesterday at a Goodwill store. For those who don't know, Goodwill is essentially like Deseret Industries, just not church-run. Since it was so funny, I shall explain it in novel form:

"And thus it was, Elders Ulloa, Huskinson, Herrera, and myself were in Santa Clarita, having a doctor appointment taken care of. After having been at the mall for a few hours, we went searching around the nice part of our field of labor, Santa Clarita. We searched around and found, sitting atop a hill, a great and spacious Goodwil building. Drawn by the aspect of cheap clothes and ties, we went inside. I was drawn to the electronics department, in search of a novelty. I browsed the movies, DVDs, cassette tapes, records, and old television sets. I was losing hope, because I could not see. Then, when I looked down, I saw, in all it's blazing brown and gray glory, a Nintendo Entertainment System.
My heart leaped, and my wallet was singing with the prospect. I picked it up, examining it, and imagining Handel's "Hallelujah" playing in the background. However, upon searching the bag taped on the top of cords, I noticed that the power cord was missing. The heavenly song stopped, and I could hear my heart sagging in failure. But, I was not to be deterred. I searched the boxes of miscellaneous cords fervently, and found an adequate replacement. Upon finding this, my joy rekindled, and I went to the front to ask if the aged piece of hardware could be tested. I borrowed a game from their shelf, anxiously hooked it up to a television with the supervision of an employee, and pressed the power button, ready to enjoy the nostalgia. However, something happened, that brought back many memories of stress and frustration from my childhood regarding our old NES system: the flashing power bulb, and the strobing gray screen on the television.
My joy was now defeated, and I heard the sound of my heart crying. I tried many tried and true methods to have the decrepit console function, but to no avail. No amount of blowing on the circuitry would revive the poor creature. So, in utter defeat, I unhooked the system, placed it where I found it, and sat in a chair. The lights dimmed around me, except for a single dim light bulb that shined on me. My heart, practically in pieces, was completely broken. I sung my final requiem, and gave up the ghost. And thus it was."

Fin

I hope you enjoyed my presentation, and I thank you for your time. You may resume your normal happy lives now. Thank you.

Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment