My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Monday, May 23, 2011

What a crazy week...

This has been a really crazy week

The main reason for that is because of something that happened on Wednesday evening. I'll get to explaining that in just a while, but it's really weird.
Anyways, the area has been good. We're still working hard and finding new people, however, we're no longer sure that our main investigator, Margarita, is as solid as we thought she was. She came to church four weeks in a row just before I came here, and she was in dire need of money for her house, because she was being threatened with eviction. So, we asked the church to help her out, and we did. With a fairly good sum of money, too. But, ever since then, she hasn't come to anything church related. We're kinda thinking she wasn't as ready as we thought, but she's still really good. We'll see, though. We're thinking of dropping her. As far as that, we haven't had much progress with anyone else. We're working really hard, no doubt, but it's still not going much of anywhere yet. We're still hoping, though.
As for me, I'm starting to see some change in my body from P90X. I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in last week's email, but I'm still way tired. I did the Chest and Back workout this morning, and I killed myself. I'm hurting so much that it's almost no longer funny. But, this stuff happens, so we'll see what goes on.
Anyways, I bet you're all wondering by now what it was that I thought was so weird. Here it is. We were passing by an old investigator's house, and they were prepping for something. We went in and talked with them, trying to get a first lesson in, which we thought was good, since they said that more people were coming over after that. So, we skipped our dinner and stayed, expecting to teach a lesson. No. Other people show up, and we soon find out that this is a church meeting in their own house. We didn't want to be rude, so we stayed. Then, they decided to get really crazy. Music, dancing, and a sermon that I couldn't understand and that made almost no sense. Then, after a while, the pastor invited all those who wanted to accept Jesus Christ in their lives and be saved to come forward. A few people did, and then he turned straight to us, and asked us the same question. We were both thrown off, and a bit hesitant. He asked again, and Husky said yes in a bit of a confused tone. They pulled him forward, and then they motioned for me to go, so I did. In this little circle, they told us to recite a set prayer. After the prayer (which I simply mouthed, not saying anything), he prayed again, placed his hands on one guy, and then other people came in and did the same. Then they did it to Husky. I looked at him, and I could tell he felt awkward. I was almost laughing it was so funny. Then, they did it to me, and I was so weirded out. The pastor said I was going to feel something strong. I felt something very awkward, as he and others placed their hands on me. It was so weird. Then they left me, and went to the next. I retreated to Husky's corner, and said, "Dude, I think they just baptized US!" We laughed. It was such a weird night. It was so crazy.
Anywyas, that's what happened, and it went straight into the journal. I'll remember that for a while. Anyways, to all those who read these, take care, and also, since this is transfer weekend, don't send any mail until next week. I may not get it. But then again, I haven't received a letter in months, so that's hardly a problem.

Love

Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment