My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

It's all gone to pots...

My companionship, that is.

The reason for that is as follows. I recently got sent my "Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot" game from my parents, and talking about how awesome it is to my companion, he says, "No, I've already played it. I don't really like it." I wasn't content to let it slide, though, and so I just kept telling him how awesome it was to have all the booster packs. I've had the game for a little over a week now. We, as an apartment, have come to an agreement. If we all participate in a wrestling match, then we will all have to play a board/card game of my choice. I was getting psyched on Sunday night to wrestle, so we could play Killer Bunnies. Then, Elder Bills said something about Killer Bunnies rules that didn't make sense, since he had played it before. I asked him, "What do you mean? You've played it before." He said, "Actually, I was BSing that. I've never played it." And, laughing, he says, "I'm just sick of having to learn new games." That really made me mad. First off, why would he lie to me about something as trivial as knowing how to play a game? Second, how can he know it's a bad game if he's never played it.? One of my biggest pet peeves is when people rag on something they don't know about, without even finding out if it's good or bad. (Kind of an interesting analogy to the Gospel, huh? Many people know nothing about it, yet they put it down without knowing how much it can bless them.) So, I've lost a lot of respect for Elder Bills, and have started caring just a little less. I've tried hard these last 12 weeks to make it work with him, and it's not been happening. If he finds it necessary to lie to me about something as trivial as a card game, then he and I have a serious problem. So yeah, things aren't looking up.
But, at least I can say that transfer calls are this weekend. With any luck, one of us will be transferred, and we'll never have to deal with each other ever again. Odds are that he'll be transferred, since he's been in this area for 24 weeks, and I've only been here for 12, but since I'm supposedly only a spanish-speaking missionary, I may get sent out. I did, however, express my desire to my mission president to no longer be with him. I'll report next Monday about how the transfers go. With luck, we're no longer together, but if we are together, I may need intervention to prevent myself from pegging him in the face a few times.
That's really about all that's happened. We've found an awesome investigator and her daughter, and they're both looking for a good church. So, if they want a good church, why not present them with one of the best, right?

Take care

Elder Shepherd

P.S. Starting next week, for sure, I'm no longer able to do emails on Tuesdays. Only Mondays. and I mean it this time. ONLY MONDAYS!!! If you want me to receive your emails, I suggest you send them to me on Sunday evenings. Those are the best times to write, anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment