My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Down with the sickness otra vez...

Hey everyone

So, as I'm sure you all can guess, I was sick just recently. On thursday last week, I started getting some nasal drainage, and with it, the accompanying sore throat. I didn't feel too bad at the end of the day, but on Friday, I was floored. I was so out of it that I couldn't do practically anything. I slept all the way after district meeting. That was about a time span of 3 hours. It was a pain. Also, the fact that I had to go out to dinner that night didn't help out. I wouldn't have gone, but since there were no other replacement missionaries available in the area, and the fact that this member drove down for an hour to take us out, both compelled me to go. It was mexican food. Not what I would've chosen, but it wasn't awful. I certainly wouldn't have gotten sick for it again, though. Anyways, I was fine on Saturday, better on Sunday, and Monday, I'm completely better. It wasn't a very fun weekend for me.
However, Monday was a good day for me, because I got to see my MTC companion, Elder Grandy, again. We haven't seen or been in contact with each other for about 6 months now, so it was a good reunion. Combined with Elder Lyman, the other elder who came out with us from our MTC District, it was an essential MTC Reunion. It was pretty fun. He's actually a lot cooler than what I remember. We were able to talk about a lot more stuff then, and we caught up, essentially. He was evidently in Lake L.A. in the desert for four transfers, and this is his first transfer into the valley. He's been doing fine, though, and he is enjoying being around his trainer, his MTC buds, as well as others. I'm also happy to see him again.
As for what made monday special, it was an event called Tri-Zone, where all the zones in the valley gather together for socializing, sports, and good times. It's generally lots of fun. I played a bit of Ultimate Frisbee, but a lot of my ocarina. I don't really dig sports that much, so I just kinda spent my time socializing. It was fun, though. However, something interesting happened. A man came up, with a Bible in his hand, and tried proselyting among us missionaries. He had no idea we were LDS Missionaries, but he had a good conversation with my trainer, Elder Houghton. He kinda had conflicting opinions, but Elder Houghton was able to handle him so professionally. He was able to combat his points, but also able to teach. Bashing is something we missionaries generally don't engage in, but he was teaching at the same time, so he kept it from the point of bashing. We actually managed to give him a Book of Mormon, and he said he was fairly interested in learning more, since some of the stuff he knew about Mormons were anti stuff, anyways. It was a good experience. It also made me realize, even more, just how kick-butt my trainer is. I love my daddy!
That's about it for what's happened. Elder Bills and I haven't been finding anyone new to teach, really, although we did get a less-active member interested in taking the lessons. She hasn't been to church in forever, and said she'd be interesting in hearing what we have to say. Other than that, ther hasn't been much of anything. So, that's about it. Tengan cuidado, mis amigos, y que les vaya bien!

Love

Elder Pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment