My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A new week, some new investigators.

Hey everyone

So this week has been way too fast. I barely blinked last week at email time, and now I'm sitting here in the library, writing out another email. The time goes by way too fast. But, I'll give the quick rundown of what is going on here in Van Nuys.
Like the title said, we've been finding a lot, and got some great new investigators. One of them is the Escriba family. They were contacted about a year ago by missionaries, and they were forgotten or something. It's really solid teaching them. They've accepted a Book of Mormon, and we're going to check on them tonight to see whether they have been doing their family reading, and teach them a lesson. However, with new investigators, comes some dropped ones. We have not been able to get in contact with Tony for a while, and so we've dropped her. I feel really bad about that. We're trying desperately to get in contact with Rosi's full family, but she's usually working. I hate jobs, now. Always interrupting the work. But, we haven't dropped them yet, so we're working on them. Also, yesterday, on P-Day, after 6:00 and we were out tracting, we taught 2 lessons. That's actually really good for a P-Day. We're hoping that something good comes out of those lessons.
That's basically it for the people, now for experiences, directly form my journal. On Thursday, we knocked a door, and the woman living there was being taught by two Jehovah's Witnesses. We joined the conversation, but didn't get to teach anything. They were on the soapbox, and we just sat back. From what Elder Houghton told me, they were teaching a good majority of the same doctrine we believe in, other than God is Jehovah, Jesus is just a prophet, and only 144,000 people will be redeemed in the Kindgom of Heaven. It was wierd, because we wanted to talk, but didn't get the chance. We did learn, though, not to teach like them. One of the women hogged the entire lesson, and read it entirely from a scripted JW book. It was funny, almost. But it was mostly boring. Great lesson for our teaching later on. On friday we had Zone Conference. I wasn't really listening that much :) , but I did get some good parts out of it. Thank heavens we had that though, because when we came back, our bikes were stolen. Yeah, that sucks. But all is good now. One of the soon-to-be-departing missionaries gave me his bike, and we are good. (Mom, Dad, don't you dare send me money to buy a new bike) Then, on Saturday, Elder McElderry woke up, and told us something wierd that happened while he was asleep. He was talking in his sleep, and Elder Ball said, "First, you said, 'No tiene nada!' (You don't have anything!), then, he growled, and said, 'Shiver me timbers!'" I laughed SO HARD at that. Ahh, the funny things that happen in a mission. Also, our black widow spider has made an egg sack. Everyone is getting pretty tense about that. We taped the lid shut, but Elder Houghton wants it burned. I kinda want to see it hatch. But, I don't know. We'll probably burn it.
That's about it for what's been happening out here, and I look forward to writing more next week. Talk to all of you later.

Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment