My Time in California

I am Marcus Keith Shepherd. I am serving in the California San Fernando Spanish-Speaking Mission. My family will be updating this blog weekly (hopefully) with information and pictures about what goes on out here. Tune in regularly to see what my life is like out there.



Tuesday, April 5, 2011

300 Days Already!?

Yes, folks


As the title of the email says, I've been out on a mission for 300 days, today as a matter of fact. I'm not counting, but before the mission, I went through and marked a few milestones for the mission. Namely every 100 days and every three months. I swear I'm not counting down the days till I come home, I just like to enjoy these little markers.
Anyways, I personally enjoyed General Conference. Can I hear a hallelujah from everyone else who did? My personal favorite talk was President Monson's talk in the Priesthood Session about marriage. It was funny, but also it made me think a lot about what I'm facing when I come home. I'm excited to get married, but I'm also really freaked out about it. Because, when I'm married, I have to take some responsibility. I'll have to get a good job to support ourselves, finish college, have some kids, and begin an adult life. But, then again, that is all based on how I do on the dating scene. For those who don't know yet, I never dated in high school, and frankly never tried to have a girlfriend because I figured that since I was going to go on a mission, I'd have to dump her anyways, since a girlfriend on the mission is nasty business. My last companion, Elder Bills, actually told a lot a story about how a missionary in his branch got Dear John'd, and he hitchhiked to Texas from Michigan in the middle of that very night. That is a bad sign that girls aren't healthy for a missionary. So, I'm going to have some major catching up to do, but I'm going to at least try. Maybe go to a YSA ward, attend the activities, actually ask for numbers, take a few on a date, and who knows, I could be married before I even know it. It's freaky, yes, but I think I'll be ready when the time comes.
As far as the area is going, we tried to have a lesson with our main investigator, but she was busy at the time, and had to reschedule. That's sadly what happens a lot out here. People don't really keep appointments very well, and so we are running all over the place trying to get stuff done, but nothing happens. It's depressing when your investigators don't really keep up with their commitments, but they do this according to their own agency. Not much we can do about that, now is there?
As far as an announcement, the 17th of this month is officially (as if it could ever be unofficial) my 20th birthday. I'm really freaking out about that. If anyone is ever interested in this, you can send me whatever you feel: Money, birthday cards, spam, chain letters, hate mail, whatever you like. If you don't know, here's my address:


Elder Marcus Shepherd
9511 Darby Ave. #105
Northridge, CA 91325


I'll be in there for sure until April 17th. The day after that is transfers, so I don't know what's going to happen. I'd at least appreciate emails wishing me happy birthday.
Thanks everyone for all your support, y que les vaya bien. Vayanse con Dios, tambien.


Elder Shepherd

No comments:

Post a Comment